Who can be nominated?

Any person who has carried out meritorious voluntary community service for the City of Upper Hutt is eligible for nomination. It is likely, but not essential, that this community service will be in one of the fields of welfare, youth or aged services, community education, cultural activities or sport and recreation administration.

Who qualifies?

Recipients of the award will be residents of Upper Hutt. Except in exceptional circumstances, an award will not be made to a person who has received other public recognition for the community service in the form of awards such as those conferred through the New Zealand Honours system.

Who should make the nomination?

A nomination must be signed by at least two residents of Upper Hutt, or if the nomination is from an Upper Hutt organisation, it must be signed by at least two executive members of that organisation. It is not necessary to obtain prior consent of the person being nominated. If a nomination is successful, the nominee will be contacted to ascertain whether he or she wishes to accept the award.

Completing the nomination form

Please complete the nomination form located in the Resource & Links section and follow the instructions in each section closely. It is important that you provide as much information as possible about your nominee, and try to explain what their actual contribution in an area has been, as opposed to just listing jobs or posts held. The following should not be submitted: original documents, testimonials and references that do not relate to the nomination, books, videos, tape recordings and photographs.

Who decides who should receive an award?

The Civic Awards Committee is made up of the Mayor, two Upper Hutt City Councillors and two community representatives selected by the Council.

Are nominators advised once a decision is made?

Yes. Nominators will receive a letter advising whether the nomination has been successful.

Unsuccessful nominations

If a nomination is unsuccessful, you may submit the nomination in the following or future years. Unsuccessful nominations, or details of the people who nominated them will not be made public.

When are nominations taken?

Nominations can be received at any time. The Civic Awards Committee meet mid-year to consider any applications. An advert will be placed nearer the Committee meeting calling for nominations.

Completed nomination forms

The completed nomination form and attachments can be sent at any time and should be sent to:

Kerrie Falconer
Executive Assistant to the Mayor
Upper Hutt City Council
Private Bag 907
Upper Hutt 5140

For further information, please contact:

Kerrie Falconer
Phone: (04) 527-2189
Email:   kerrie.falconer@uhcc.govt.nz

Nominations can be received throughout the year and will be placed on hold until nominations close.

Read related news »

Last updated on 26 Jan 2016