Activation is a project implemented by the Upper Hutt City Council to assist the community to become more active, more often.
The framework for this plan is the Upper Hutt Active Recreation Plan (UHARP) adopted by council in November 2006 and supported and funded by the 4 project partners, Upper Hutt City Council, Youthtown, Sport Wellington and Lion Foundation.
A team has been brought together to assist and lead the community in becoming more active, more often. Activation works with clubs, community groups and individuals to develop and support physical activity in the city by implementing the active recreation plan.
The plan has many interventions from people starting to explore options for active recreation to those that excel in their area of choice.
The role of the Activation team is to:
- support clubs and groups to provide physical activity and sport services.
- connect groups together and create networks to enhance physical activity.
- provide advice and create awareness about events and programmes.
- assist with the development and delivery of programmes and events.
- advocate for physical activity opportunities.
- monitor and evaluate physical activity in the city.
Explore 2 Excel
The explore to excel continuum lies at the heart of the Upper Hutt Activation Plan and describes the different phases that people partake in sport and active recreation. E2E (Explore to Excel) is about encouraging people to explore, learn, participate, perform and excel.