Gibbons St traffic light repairs and Whakatiki St intersection improvements
Gibbons Street Traffic Lights
Please be advised that the NZTA traffic signals at the Gibbons Street–River Road intersection were damaged during the resurfacing work on Tuesday night. Repairs will be completed next Tuesday/Wednesday.
SH2\Whakatiki Street intersection improvements: Media release from the New Zealand Transport Agency—1 June 2017
Work to improve safety at the intersection of State Highway 2 and Whakatiki Street in Upper Hutt is set to get under way next week.
The project involves the installation of traffic lights and CCTV cameras, as well as improvements to the road surface.
“We are committed to improving safety at this intersection. In 2013 a lower temporary speed limit of 80km/h was introduced on the southbound lane of State Highway 2, which went some way to reducing the number and the severity of crashes,” Neil Walker, Highway Manager, NZ Transport Agency says. “However, last year saw two further serious crashes, including one fatality, despite the lowered speed limit.”
The work is being carried out in partnership with the Upper Hutt City Council.
“Whakatiki Street is a key local road which connects Upper Hutt with the busy State Highway 2. Installing traffic lights and making the current temporary speed limit of 80km/h permanent for the southbound lane will both help lower the risk for road users at this intersection. Traffic lights will make it easier for drivers turning right into and out of Whakatiki Street and will also reduce delays for right turning traffic from Whakatiki Street onto State Highway 2,” Mr Walker says.
“Once the traffic lights are installed we expect that there will be immediate improvement to safety.”
The work will get under way on Tuesday, 6 June, and weather permitting, is scheduled to take four weeks to complete.
- Night works are expected to take place during the hours of 7.00 pm and 5.30am
- Northbound no right turn lane closure – Detour for vehicles to continue straight on SH2 and use Gibbons Street to access Whakatiki Street. Indicative dates (21, 22, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 June)
- Southbound lane closure – Vehicles turn left onto Whakatiki Street and will be redirected to Moonshine Road, where detour ends. Indicative dates (12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20 June)
- There will be some instances where both above closures take place. Both detour routes will be used.
- If daytime work is required, this will be carried out between the hours of 0900 – 1530 and will have semi-static and mobile closures. A condition of day work is that any activities are to take less than one hour.
- TMP includes: Two VMS boards will be installed prior to work taking place.
- Our current design provides an envelope of 10m between poles 4 and 6 (see diagram below) by allowing the poles in the median to be hinged and lowered when required. This is to allow any over dimensioned vehicle to cross the median at this intersection (which will need extension TTM)
For more information on road works in progress in and around Upper Hutt: http://upperhuttcity.com/road-works-in-progress