Easter Sunday Trading Policy now in effect for the entire Upper Hutt District
On 13 December 2017, the Council voted to allow Easter Sunday trading in the Upper Hutt District after much careful deliberation. In practical terms, this means that the Council adopted an Easter Sunday trading policy which will enable all shops in Upper Hutt to choose whether to trade on Easter Sunday.
Under the policy, the choice to trade on Easter Sunday rests with each individual shop. The policy neither requires shops to open, nor does it require individuals to work on Easter Sunday. It relates only to Easter Sunday trading and not to other holidays over Easter (i.e. Good Friday and Easter Monday).
The new policy is now in place and will be operative for Easter Sunday falling on 1 April 2018 and other Easter Sundays in subsequent years.
In adopting an Easter Sunday trading policy, Council is acting under the Shop Trading Hours Act 1990 which gives the Council the discretion to introduce a policy.
The Council encourages business operators to talk to their employees early about their plans for trading on Easter Sunday. Advice for employers and employees can be found on the website links identified below.
If you have any questions about the Easter Sunday trading policy, please contact Rachel Chrystall, Policy Advisor, by email Rachel.Chrystall@uhcc.govt.nz or call (04) 527 2169.
Section 5A of the Shop Trading Hours Act 1990 allows councils to adopt a local Easter Sunday shop trading policy so as to allow shops to open in the whole city or defined parts of it. The Act does not allow a policy to:
- permit shops to open only for some purposes; or
- permit only some types of shops in the area to open; or
- specify times at which shops may or may not open; or
- include any other conditions as to the circumstances in which shops in the area may open.
For more information on Easter Sunday trading please follow the links below:
- Q & A on the legislation change (including advice to employers and employees): http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-services/employment-skills/legislation-reviews/easter-sunday-shop-trading/q-and-a-oct-2015.pdf/view?searchterm=Easter%2A
- Employment New Zealand’s website offers some more detailed advice and tools for employers and employees on the rules around opening or working on Easter Sunday: https://www.employment.govt.nz/leave-and-holidays/public-holidays/restricted-shop-trading-days
- Retail New Zealand’s website: http://www.retail.kiwi/advocacy/shop-trading-hours
- Legislation – Shop Trading Hours Act 1990: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1990/0057/latest/DLM212351.html?src=qs
Links to more information are provided in the Resources and Links section.
Last updated on 23 Apr 2018