About Building Control Services

The Building Control Services team is a business unit within Upper Hutt City Council. We carry out the Council’s statutory responsibilities under the Building Act, as an accredited building consent authority and, the territorial authority. Our staff are trained professionals with backgrounds covering a range of building disciplines, including engineering, plumbing and construction.

We are committed to providing top-quality customer service and aim to help you obtain your consent as fast as possible, while also ensuring that your building project meets all legislative and Building Code requirements. Should you need help understanding something please call us so that we can point you towards some guidance to assist you. Please note that we cannot give you design advice (or design solutions) as that is the responsibility of the designer of the proposed building work.

Goshift partnership

GoShift is a partnership between central and local government to improve performance, consistency and service delivery across the building consent system. The programme aims to deliver a common vision, goals, management framework and quality management for building consent processes across all participating councils.

Upper Hutt City Council participates in this partnership and uses Goshift forms for certain applications such as:

  • Building consent,
  • Certificate for public use,
  • Code compliance certificate,
  • Extension of time,
  • Memoranda from Licensed Building Practitioners,
  • Owner Builder declaration and
  • Owner Builder notification

To ensure that we provide you with the latest versions of forms and their guidance our website links to the Goshift “tool box” web page where writable pdf forms can be downloaded and completed. Should you need help finding forms please call, we are here to help.

Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment guidance

For consistency we will often refer you to Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (“MBIE”) guidance, visit www.building.govt.nz.  It has all the information you need to build homes and buildings that are safe, healthy and durable.


If you would like to make a complaint relating to Building Control Services please contact us. On receipt of a written complaint, we will acknowledge receipt and complete an investigation regarding the nature of the complaint; and then notify you of the outcome. Contact Us

A copy of the building consent authorities complaints policy (PI 1 Complaints and Inquiries) is available to applicants, please contact Building Control Services team if you require a copy.


If you believe Building Control Services decision making is incorrect you can ask MBIE for a determination. Determinations explained

Helpful websites and links

The following websites have been specially developed to help give advice and provide a resource for homeowners who are building a new home, renovating their existing house and much more:

Read related news »

Last updated on 02 Mar 2018