From 1 April 2017 we will be changing the way we will be accepting bookings for final inspections. We will require all documents that support completion of work and compliance with the consent prior to accepting final inspection bookings.

Required documents will vary depending on the scope of building work relative to the building consent issued; but may include:

  • Fully dimensioned as-built drainage plans.
  • Energy certificates (e.g. electrical and/or gas).
  • Engineer’s documents (PS4 producer statements and site inspection notes).
  • Warrantees (e.g. windows, roofing, cladding)

Please also note that a completed application for code compliance certificate is required to initiate the statutory timeframe for code compliance certificate decisions.

If you are unsure what documentation is required for your final inspection booking please phone (04) 527 2169 and ask to speak to someone in the building team. Please note that we may need to research the file and call you back.

Please be aware that we will take all reasonable steps to advise you of all documentation that we require however further information may be sought through the audit process for code compliance certificate.

Old consents

We are making a change to the way we book inspections for old consents. For the older ones we will first conduct a desktop assessment of the file to see where the build is at from our perspective. Following that we can advise the best way forward. Depending on the complexity of the task we may need to recover our costs for the review.

Signing off such a building is not an easy task and not something that can be completed solely by way of inspection. Council officers need to step their way through the process and decisions that they make; very carefully. There can be several factors for Council to consider to be satisfied that the building work complies and duly certify the work (code compliance certificate). Issuing a code compliance certificate is in some cases not possible when there are gaps in the body of evidence (e.g. inspections that have been missed, inspections that have failed and required documentation that remains outstanding). There is also a need to consider the durability of building elements which by law commences the date CCC is issued. An owner can apply for a modification to durability regulations but this must be by way of an official amendment application (noting that there are additional fees and time involved).

If you intend to sell, please check with Council to see if there are unresolved consents associated with your property. Files can be researched at the public kiosk at out reception, alternatively an application for Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is the most reliable way of obtaining the information that Council holds.

We appreciate that some owners will enter into agreements and as an unintended consequence desire sign offs with urgency. Council officers are mindful that selling a property can be a stressful experience, however, they cannot let time pressures impede the care required when making such decisions.

Read related news »

Last updated on 22 Jun 2017