Inspection bookings

A list of required inspections is attached to building consents. Inspectors may require additional inspections if construction sequencing differs from what was anticipated when the consent was granted. Inspections need to be booked through the Council call centre, phone: (04) 527 2169. Please have the building consent number available and ensure that your contact details (phone and email) are relayed and recorded correctly.

We encourage you to book as early as possible as waiting times vary depending on demand. Bookings are specific to your requested inspection type for a specific consent. If you are not going to be ready please cancel your inspection 24hrs prior. Late cancellations can incur the full inspection fee. Swapping an inspection is at our discretion and not of right as inspection calendar coordination involves travel considerations.

Inspection descriptions (at a high level)

Building Inspections

    • Site – location of the building on site (verified by a surveyor’s report or visible boundary markers)
    • Foundation – before placing any concrete for foundation walls or footings
    • Piles – before placing any concrete for pile foundations (timber or concrete)
    • Pre Slab – before placing any concrete for concrete floor slabs and any integral footings
    • Retaining wall – before back-filling against any wall or covering any tanking
    • Sub-floor – before covering any sub-floor framing
    • Pre wrap – before fitting building wrap to framing
    • Pre clad – on completing the building wrap with flashings/tapes installed and before fitting any external cladding external cladding
    • Brick – brick work at half height
    • Post Clad & weather-tightness – before application of any coating system
    • Pre Line – before fitting internal linings where specialist vibrationally isolated connections or in-frame insulation is specified
    • Post line (bracing) – post line bracing while fixings are still visible
    • Post line (fire) – where fire rated walls are included, certification from the fire design engineer (PS4) or sufficient inspections to verify correct installation of specified linings and protection of penetrations
    • Post line (wet area membranes) – inspection of installed wet area membranes before installation of finish surfaces such as tiles
    • Post line (acoustic) – where sound rated walls are included, certification from the acoustic design engineer (PS4) or sufficient inspections to verify correct installation of specified linings and attenuation of penetrations
    • Final – final inspection on completion of all building work.

Roofing Inspections

    • Membrane – membrane upstand prior to concealing behind any wall linings or under flashings
    • Postwrap – purlins and wrap in place

Plumbing Inspections

    • Drainage – testing any drainage work before back filling and before covering any field drains
    • Pre slab – plumbing in/under the floor slab
    • Pre line – plumbing systems before fitting any linings

Typical Council inspections

Access for inspectors

When there is building consent, inspectors are entitled (during normal working hours or while building work is being done) to inspect; land, any building on that land and the building work.

Please note that the inspectors need safe access to perform the inspections required. For example, if scaffolding or edge protection is not present for a weather-tightness or roof inspection then the inspection may fail due to the inability to safely access and inspect the work.

Information and people that need to be on site

Full size Council stamped copies of the building consent (and attachments), plans and specifications need to be present at inspections. The inspector’s role is to ensure that the consent, plans and specification are being complied with (that the building work has been completed in accordance with the plans/specifications). If the stamped documents are not present or the work differs from the consent then the inspection fails.

Ideally the practitioner who undertook the work (such as a licensed building practitioner or registered plumber or drainlayer) should be at the inspection. This is strongly advised as there may be discussions needed so the inspector can confirm compliance.

Inspection findings and reports

Inspectors use electronic devices to record findings and will discuss these findings with the site representatives. Inspection reports are emailed out when the inspector returns to the office. Please check that we have the correct email addresses recorded in our system.

An inspection that confirms passed results for all items is approval to continue. On occasions some items will be recorded as fail; to mark that item as needing confirmation at a later date, however the inspector will communicate that work may continue.

When compliance cannot be confirmed the inspection fails. The inspector will communicate what is needed and ask for the inspection to be re-booked.

What happens if I want to build it differently

Builders are responsible for building in accordance with the consented plans and specifications. If you want to make changes you need to let us know, as any change requires an amendment or minor variation prior to that piece of work commencing. Use Form 2 for amendment applications.

Making changes to your plans

Notices to fix

If your building work does not comply with the building consent at time of inspection, you may be given a notice to fix.

An offence is committed if your project needs a building consent and the work is done without one, and when a notice to fix is not complied with. You could be issued with an infringement notice and substantial fine. In rare cases, if the building is not safe or sanitary and doesn’t have a suitable way to escape from fire, you may even have to remedy or remove the building.

Final inspections

We require all documents that support completion of work and compliance with the consent prior to accepting final inspection bookings. Please supply supporting material; such as energy certificates, as-built drainage plans and required documents (as referenced in consent attachments and inspection notices) so we can contact you for your booking request.

Code Compliance Certificate

A code compliance certificate (“CCC”) is a formal statement that building work carried out under a building consent complies with that building consent. When issued it concludes the regulated process.

Code compliance certificate

When and how to apply for a code compliance certificate

An owner must apply for a CCC (as soon as practicable) after all work relating to their building consent has been completed.

Complete the application form and attach all relevant supporting material; such as energy certificates, as-built drainage plans and required documents (as referenced in consent attachments and inspection notices). Your completed application can be forwarded to us in two ways:

  • Bring it to our reception – 838 – 842 Fergusson Drive, Upper Hutt.
  • By post (or courier) to – Upper Hutt City Council, Private Bag 907, Upper Hutt 5140

Applications are checked for completeness before they are accepted.

How code compliance certificates are processed

To issue a CCC we must be satisfied on reasonable grounds that that the building work complies with the building consent. In the case where a compliance schedule (or amendment) is required we must be satisfied that specified systems are capable of performing.

We have 20 working days to process applications. The clock starts on receipt of a complete application and may be suspended for requests for further information. A suspended clock will restart when all information requested has been received.

Any fees owed for extra work, inspections or development contributions will be requested and need to be recovered prior to issuing a CCC.

Signing off old consents

When considering old consents we will first conduct a desktop assessment of the file to see where the build is at from our perspective. Following that we can advise the best way forward. Depending on the complexity of the task we may need to recover our costs for the review.

Signing off such a building is not always a straightforward task and not something that can be completed solely by way of inspection. Council officers need to step their way through the process and the decisions that they make; very carefully. There can be several factors for Council to consider to be satisfied that the building work complies and duly certify the work (code compliance certificate). Council may request that you engage a professional specialist to assist you in evidencing the building work’s compliance. Issuing a code compliance certificate is in some cases not possible when there are gaps in the body of evidence (e.g. inspections that have been missed, inspections that have failed and required documentation that remains outstanding). There is also a need to consider the durability of building elements which by law commences the date CCC is issued. An owner can apply for a modification to durability regulations but this must be by way of an official amendment application (noting that there are additional fees and time involved).

If you intend to sell your property, please check with Council to see if there are unresolved consents associated with it. Files can be researched at the public kiosk at out reception, alternatively an application for a Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is the most reliable way of obtaining the information that Council holds.

We appreciate that some owners will enter into agreements and as an unintended consequence desire sign offs with urgency. Council officers are mindful that selling a property can be a stressful experience, however, they cannot let time pressures impede the care required when making such decisions.

Read related news »

Last updated on 23 Apr 2018