What is a Land Information Memorandum (LIM)?

A LIM is a Land Information Memorandum. A LIM is a document, prepared when it is requested by you, giving information relating to a specific property. The Council is obliged to make it available under section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987.

  • A LIM is the most comprehensive report you can get on a property. The report is prepared by the Council providing historical and current information on commercial and residential properties, with information from its records on matters affecting the land and any buildings on a particular property.

Why should I get a LIM?

LIM’s are commonly used by people such as prospective purchasers and sellers of a property, lawyers, real estate agents and valuers.

If you are buying or selling a property, a LIM may answer some important questions about the land or any buildings on the property. Knowing this information may be vital before a property sale or purchase is finalised.

What is in a LIM?

A LIM must contain information such as:

  • special land features or characteristics known to the Council and not on the District Plan, such matters as potential erosion, removal of land by water action, falling debris, subsidence, slippage, flooding, the deposition of silt from flooding and the presence of hazardous contaminants that are likely to be relevant to the land and are known to the Council
  • private and public storm water and sewerage drains shown in Council’s records
  • drinking Water that Greater Wellington Regional Council has provided to Upper Hutt City Council under Section 69ZH Health Act 1956 – whether the land is supplied with drinking water, and if so—the type of supply, any conditions applicable to the supply, if owner supplied, any information Upper Hutt City Council has about the supply
  • any rates owing
  • any consent, certificate, notice, order or requisition affecting the land or any building on the land previously issued by the Council under the Building Act 2004, or any other Act
  • any consents or certificates that are issued by any Building Certifiers
  • Weathertight Homes claims advised to Upper Hutt City Council by the Department of Building and Housing
  • information provided to Upper Hutt City Council by any statutory organisation which has the power to classify land or buildings
  • information that has been notified to the Council by a network utility operator under the Building Act 1991 or 2004
  • the use to which the land may be put and any conditions attached to that use
  • subdivision and developments – any known developments.

A LIM may contain:

  • such other information concerning the land which the Council considers – at its discretion – to be relevant.

It does not provide interpretation of this information or advice on how to interpret or utilise this information. You should seek your own independent and professional advice on what the information means.

NOTE: Council can only provide information that it holds at the time the Report is written. Some issues may exist that the Council is unaware of and has no information on; for example, previous owners may have carried out work without reference to Council.

For further information regarding LIMs, please contact the Council LIM Officer, phone (04) 527 2125.

Read related news »

Last updated on 08 Feb 2019