Plan Change 45 – Signs
Update (May 2019):
The Council Officer’s Right of Reply for PC 45 has been Circulated to the hearing panel and submitters and can be found in the table below.
The hearing for Plan Change 45 was adjourned pending the Council Officer’s Right of Reply until Friday 24 May 2019
The hearing for Plan Change 45 was scheduled for 8 May 2019. Council officers prepared a hearing report (s42A report) in advance of the hearing, which can be found with supporting documents in the table below. Copies of the submissions, the council summary of submissions and the further submissions received are also available below, any questions on the plan change can be directed to the Councils consultant planner Brett Osborne (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Further Submissions for Proposed Plan Change 45 – Signs opened on 10 October 2018 and closed 5pm on the 25 October 2018
Consultation closed at 5.00 pm on Wednesday 18 July 2018
The Resource Management Act 1991 (the Act) requires a review of all District Plan provisions to be commenced within 10 years of their enactment. Proposed Plan change 45 – Signs (PPC45) therefore acts as a review of the provisions for signs in the Operative Upper Hutt City District Plan 2004.
The provisions have been reviewed together with the review of the Council’s Control of Advertising Bylaw (Signs Bylaw) to ensure a comprehensive and integrated review of methods which manage signs in the district.
The Consultation on the Signs bylaw closed with it being adopted by Council on 26 September 2018 and made operative on 3 October 2018.
Schedule 1 of the Act describes the procedure for a proposed Plan Change and the process required to publicly notify any Plan Change. This Plan Change has been conducted in accordance with Schedule 1.
Proposed Plan Change 45 seeks to update and consolidate the signs provisions. The reasons for undertaking the review can be summarised as follows:
- The provisions were due to be reviewed and updated as they have not been reviewed since the District Plan was made operative.
- A need to update and consolidate provisions including to implement the new District Plan structure introduced through Plan Change 43 – Introductory chapters.
- Reviewing the signs provisions together with a review of the Council’s Control of Advertising Bylaw (Signs Bylaw) ensure a comprehensive and integrated review of methods which manage signs in the district.
The following summarises the main changes proposed by PPC45
- All general signs provisions are combined into a single signs chapter.
- A new signs objective is inserted which recognises the need for signs and that they need to be well managed (as relates to issues for character, amenity and transport safety).
- The insertion of more specific signs policies which apply across the district, but which recognise and provide for the different characteristics of zones.
- Updated and amended rules, matters of discretion, and definitions, which maintain the current approach that most signs are permitted subject to meeting minimum standards.
- Where standards are not met, they would be assessed as restricted discretionary or discretionary activities. This retains the primary activity status for most activities of restricted discretionary, where permitted standards are not met.
- A new discretionary activity status for signs is introduced for signs which incorporate movement or changing content (including digital signage) and signs which are not situated on the site to which they relate.
PPC45 recommends changes to these chapters:
District Plan Chapter
Part of chapter to be amended
|Chapter 2||Definitions||Amended definition of sign and new definition of temporary sign.|
|Chapter 4||Residential Zone||Remove of Policy 4.4.8|
|Chapter 8A.3||General Rules (New Chapter)||The insertion of the new Chapter 8A.3 – General Rules (New Chapter) New objective, policies and rules, including matters of discretion. Changes include: updating and amending existing District Plan content (from other chapters and repositioning them into this chapter).|
|Chapter 15||Environmental Quality||Remove of Policy 15.4.5 Remove methods which relate to signs|
|Chapter 18||Residential Zone Rules||Remove rules for signs and matters for consideration and matters of discretion relating to signs.|
|Chapter 19||Rural Zone Rules||Remove rules for signs and matters for consideration and matters of discretion relating to signs.|
|Chapter 20||Business Zone Rules||Remove rules for signs and matters for consideration and matters of discretion relating to signs.|
|Chapter 21||Open Space Rules||Remove rules for signs and matters for consideration and matters of discretion relating to signs.|
|Chapter 22||Special Activity Zone Rules||Remove rules for signs and matters for consideration and matters of discretion relating to signs.|
All PC 45 material, including the Public Notification Notice, is available below.
HOW TO MAKE A FURTHER SUBMISSION:
Further Submissions on PC 45 were open until 5pm 25 October 2018.
All PC 45 material, including the Public Notification Notice of Summary of Submissions, may also be viewed at the locations listed below. However, if you would like to discuss PC45 further, please contact the Upper Hutt City Council Planning Policy team by calling (04) 527 2169 or emailing email@example.com
|Upper Hutt City Council Offices||Level 1 Reception
Civic Administration Building
838-842 Fergusson Drive
Last updated on 22 May 2019