People and activities are entitled to make noise at a reasonable level but you have the right – at any time – to have excessive noise reduced or stopped.

To lodge a complaint at any time contact the Council on telephone (04) 527 2169.

The airwaves are part of our environment and the Council has officers to minimise noise pollution by enforcing excessive noise provisions of the Resource Management Act (RMA). Officers monitor noise levels of legitimate activities and check for compliance with the District Plan.

Some kinds of noise such as traffic noise and workplace noise are controlled by other organisations under other regulations and do not involve Council Officers. Complaints about traffic noise should be directed to the New Zealand Police, and complaints about workplace noise should be directed to the Department of Labour.

Refer to the Resources & Links section to submit a non-urgent noise complaint using our online form or to download our ‘Noise control information sheet‘.

CBD and commercial noise levels

In the CBD and commercial areas higher noise levels are permitted in the District Plan. Typical complaints include:

  • loud music at parties
  • house and building alarms
  • construction and industrial activity

Assessing excessive noise

Council officers consider the effect the noise is having on the complainant and take into account the time of day, background noise and duration.

Last updated on 26 Aug 2016