Upcoming temporary road closures
- Sunday 3 December 2017 – Upper Hutt Santa Parade and Expressions Christmas Event
The following roads will be closed to vehicular traffic on Sunday 3 December 2017 for the annual Santa Parade and Expressions Christmas Event:
- The section of Kowhai Ave from Logan St to Exchange St. Closing from 12pm– 5.30pm. Re-opening when the street cleaner has been through and it is safe to reopen the road.
- King St – from Kowhai Ave to Andrews Ln – Closing from 12 – 5.30pm or when the street cleaner has been through and it is safe to reopen the road.
- King St – Andrews Ln to Fergusson Dr – Closing from 3pm until the last float passes through (approximately 45 minutes).
- Cairo St from Exchange St to King St – Closing from 12 – 5.30pm or when the street cleaner has been through and it is safe to reopen the road.
- Main St from King St to Gibbons St – Closing from 2 – 5.30pm. Reopening when the street cleaner has been through and it is safe to reopen the road. Car parks coned off from 1pm.
- Royal St from Main St to McParland St – Closing from 3 – 5.30pm. Car parks will be coned off from 12pm along Royal St.
- Upper Hutt City Council parking bay at the front of the Civic Centre on Fergusson Drive from 2pm – 6.30pm.
- Sunday 10 December 2017 – Cossie Club Children’s Christmas Party
Logan St from, but not including, Andrew’s Lane, to but not including Sinclair St will be closed to vehicular traffic on Sunday 10 December 2017 from 11am to 5pm for the annual Cossie Club Children’s Christmas Party.
- Saturday 17 February 2018 – Karapoti Classic Mountain Bike Event
Karapoti Rd will be closed to vehicular traffic on Saturday 17 February 2018 from 9am to 4pm for the annual Karapoti Classic mountain bike event. Extreme weather postponement date is Sunday 18 February 2018.
- Sunday 25 February 2018 – Wallaceville Hill Climb Motorsport Event
Wallaceville Road from just past the entrance to Wallaceville House, to, but not including the intersection with Gorrie Road will be closed to vehicular traffic on Sunday 25 February 2018 from 8.30am to 4pm for the annual Wallaceville Hill Climb Motorsport event.
Requests for a temporary road closure
Applying for a temporary road closure permit
If you are planning a parade or street event that will close a public road, you need to have a temporary road closure permit. This is approval given for a road to be closed to vehicles and/or pedestrians at a certain place and point in time. It means you can hold your event to the standards required by law, and that we can create a traffic management plan so that everything runs smoothly. Gaining approval also means you won’t be fined, as closing a road unannounced is illegal.
You’ll need to:
- Let us know in writing at least three to six months before the event. This gives us time to consult with and gain approval from everyone involved, as well as advertise the closure publicly for any objections
- Applicant to source a Traffic Management company to submit your plan, once you have been given approval. This will need to be approved by making sure the event will be safe and run with minimal disruption. – they’re listed under traffic management equipment/services in the Yellow Pages.
For more information about running an event in Upper Hutt and traffic management plan requirements, refer to the Resources & Links section.
Last updated on 03 Nov 2017