Waste from construction and deconstruction (C&D) activities is a large source of waste in New Zealand.
In fact, the Ministry for the Environment predicts C&D waste may represent up to:
- 50 per cent of all waste generated in New Zealand;
- 20 per cent of all waste going to landfill, and;
- 80 per cent of all waste going to clean-fill.
C&D waste is a complex waste stream, made up of a wide variety of materials including concrete, plasterboard, treated and untreated wood, steel, brick and glass. However, managed properly, C&D waste can be reduced, re-used and recovered, dramatically reducing the amount thrown away.
To effectively reduce the amount of C&D waste going to landfill, designers, developers, construction companies and recycling companies all need to work together, each doing their share to reduce, reuse and recycle by adhering to best practice guidelines. For some of the things to consider, download this document (PDF 84 Kb).
For a full range of guidelines and best practice information, see www.branz.co.nz/rebri
Local recycling companies include:
- Resene Paintwise programme – drop off at Resene Paints, 1036 Fergusson Drive, Cnr Fergusson Drive and Montgomery Crescent, T: (04) 526 4946
- Dulux Paints – drop off 1 Rutherford Street, Lower Hutt, T: 04 566 1160
Unsorted construction waste / skip hire:
- Woodswaste, 17 School Road, Kaiwharawhara 6035 Wellington, 04 475 9301
Untreated timber (includes untreated / HT pallets):
- Set out with a sign for community use for firewood
- Southern Landfill Wellington runs a composting programme and can process a certain amount of untreated timber
- Upper Hutt Metals, 65 Whakatiki Street, T: 04 528 4072
Building parts (reusable):
Careful deconstruction can really pay off for recovery of reusable building parts and materials!
- Ironman Building Recyclers, 132 Whakatiki Street, T: 04 527 4004
Interwaste Fluoro bulb recycling – call 0800 102 131
Poly Palace, Spicer Landfill, Broken Hill Road, Porirua, T: 0800 725 223
For questions about particular projects, other waste streams or for further help and information, please contact Sarah Cole, Sustainability Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org 04 527 2169 x755 or Martin Barry, Eco-Design Advisor, email@example.com, 04 527 2169 x743.
Last updated on 07 Mar 2017