Hazardous waste is anything that could pose a danger either to people or to the environment.

This includes items like:

  • Batteries
  • Light bulbs
  • Household chemicals
  • Agrichemicals and DIY supplies

Please don’t take hazardous waste to the landfill or put it out with your rubbish for collection. For health and safety reasons as well as public health and environmental reasons, hazardous waste needs to be managed by organisations with trained staff who can dispose of it as safely as possible.

Here are some options for getting rid of hazardous waste safely. There may be a charge to cover the cost of disposal of some items. Check with the supplier for further information on what they can accept and for any charge.

If you have garden or cleaning chemicals, pool chemicals, batteries, oil, petrol, fluorescent or LED bulbs you can take them to Waste Management Technical Services, 57-59 Port Road, Seaview (Monday to Friday). For further information, ph 568 0780 or go to their website.

Ammunition or gunpowder can be taken to the Gun Shop in Upper Hutt for disposal.

Agrecovery Rural Recycling Programme

Agrecovery is New Zealand’s solution for the safe disposal of unwanted agrichemicals, and the recycling of empty containers, drums and IBCs (Intermediate Bulk Container). Freephone 0800 247 326. www.agrecovery.co.nz 

Appliances and furniture:

Used repairable furniture and appliances (except fridges/freezers) can be taken to Earthlink

25 Peterkin Street, Wingate, Lower Hutt 5019

Monday to Friday 10:00 am to 4:00pm
Saturday 10:00 am to 3:00pm
Phone 04 567 7111
Email office@earthlink.org.nz 


See ‘Special Waste’ list  

Dental products

These products aren’t hazardous, but can’t go in the recycling either. Colgate, New World and TerraCycle have teamed up to create a network of in-store drop-off points that will accept any brand of toothpaste tubes and packaging.  Items accepted for recycling include non-electric toothbrushes, floss containers, interdental brushes and; all the associated packaging for recycling. Schools can also partner with Terracycle and become depots.  Postage is provided. www.terracycle.co.nz/en-NZ/

Domestic gas bottles can be taken to The Dive Shop, 227 Waiwhetu Road, Lower Hutt Phone 567 3981. There is a $5 charge per domestic gas bottle to cover the cost of disposal.


‘Recycling for Charity’ is an e-waste business that will recycle computers and other electronic waste. They donate a percentage of their profit to a charity of your choice.

1 King Charles Drive, Upper Hutt.

Opening hours are:

Mon-Fri: 10am – 6pm

Sat: 10am – 4pm

Or for free pick-up, use the contact form on their website to send Daniel a message. For further information go to recyclingforcharity.co.nz.

ITRecycla offer electronic and computer recycling and safe data destruction. They also accept batteries, rechargeable batteries, and mobile phones. For further information, phone 589 6293 or email info@itrecycla.co.nz ,Unit 2 101 Gracefield Road, Lower Hutt, www.itrecycler.co.nz.


Call Fire Service or Police

Fluorescent and LED bulbs

T8LED offer disposal of fluorescent or LED bulbs. For further information contact 0800 4 T8LED (4 88533) or email sales@t8led.co.nz, or www.t8led.co.nz.

Interwaste also offer a recycling service for all forms of mercury lamps, phone 566 6600 or www.interwaste.co.nz.

Medical waste or needles

These require a sharps container. Contact your local pharmacy or Interwaste interwaste.co.nz.

Mobile phones

You can recycle your old phone at a 2°, Vodafone or Spark store. IT Recycla in Lower Hutt will also accept them.


Some kinds of paint can be to Resenes Colorshop 1036 Fergusson Drive Upper Hutt, Dulux store Rutherford Street Lower Hutt or at Bunnings Naenae 235 Cambridge Terrace.

Waste cement or concrete

For small quantities, pour wet cement or concrete onto soil and let it harden as small lumps. These can be disposed of with your household rubbish. Larger quantities can be buried in your garden, or taken to the landfill.


Special waste list

It includes:

  • Asbestos
  • Commercial products or chemicals
  • Empty containers, rinsed of all hazardous substances
  • Commercial, construction and demolition waste
  • Industrial and commercial waste
  • Commercially sensitive materials that require witness burials
  • Dead animals
  • Dust, sludges and sewage treatment plant waste
  • Bulky items and loads over 10 tonnes

How do I dispose of listed special waste?

You need to:

Contact Silverstream landfill (04) 563 6952
Give your filled-out form to the landfill kiosk attendant along with the relevant fee.

Safe disposal of contaminants

A link to more information about how to safely dispose of contaminants is provided in the Resources & Links section.

Read related news »

Last updated on 26 Sep 2018