Upper Hutt City Council elections were held on Saturday 8 October 2016.
Local elections within Upper Hutt include Mayor and Council, as well as Greater Wellington Regional Council, Hutt Mana Charitable Trust, Hutt Valley District Health Board and Rimutaka Licensing Trust.
Elections for all local authorities in New Zealand are held every three years using the postal voting method with voting papers being delivered from 16 September 2016.
The elections will be conducted under the provisions of the Local Electoral Act 2001, the Local Electoral Regulations 2001 and the Local Government Act 2002.
The Electoral Officer for Upper Hutt City and the Rimutaka Licensing Trust is Warwick Lampp from electionz.com.
The Deputy Electoral Officer is Wendy Lewin (general enquiries).
Phone: (04) 527-2133
Fax: (04) 528-2652
2016 Election Results
The final result for the Hutt City Council elections are as follows.
Click on a link below to view the final results for the local elections.
The number of election returns received to date is published on the Electionz website and is updated daily.
Return of election donations and expenses for the Local Body Elections held Saturday 8 October 2016
The ‘Return of electoral expenses and electoral donations’ is a public document which we are required under legislation to make available for inspection by any person for a period of seven years after the date of election.
Candidates are required to submit a ‘Return of electoral expenses and electoral donations’ within 55 days of the publication of the election result.
Links to each of the candidate’s ‘Return of election donations expenses’ are provided below. For 2013 elections information please click here.
Mayoralty (1 Vacancy)
Councillors—at large (10 Vacancies)
- Adrian Sparrow [PDF 310 KB]
- Alan Jefferies [PDF 187 KB]
- Angela McLeod [PDF 302 KB]
- Blair Griffiths [PDF 406 KB]
- Chris Carson [PDF 307 KB]
- Dave Wheeler [PDF 239 KB]
- Glenn McArthur [PDF 167 KB]
- Harry Dale Kent [PDF 183 KB]
- Hellen Swales [PDF 1 MB]
- John Gwilliam [PDF 455 KB]
- Karen de Wit [PDF 117 KB]
- Michael Baines [PDF 890 KB]
- Michael Anderson [PDF 130 KB]
- Nigel Mander [PDF 472 KB]
- Paul Lambert [PDF 200 KB]
- Rob Rangi [PDF 355 KB]
- Ros Connelly [PDF 186 KB]
- Steve Taylor [PDF 274 KB]
- Tracey Ultra [PDF 455 KB]
- Vicki Amai Waiwai [PDF 189 KB]
Rimutaka Licensing Trust (6 Vacancies)
There was no contest for the Rimutaka Trust board members so no election was held in 2016.
Key dates for elections
|13 July 2016||Public notice of election|
|15 July 2016||Nominations open
Electoral roll opens for inspection
|12 August 2016||Nominations close 12 noon
Electoral roll closes
|17 August 2016||Public notice of candidate names|
|16 – 21 September 2016||Voting documents delivered|
|16 September – 8 October 2016||Voting period including special voting
Early processing period
|8 October 2016||Election Day – voting closes at 12 noon
|13 – 19 October 2016||Declaration of results|
|Mid December 2016||Return of election expense forms|
Candidate profiles booklet for Upper Hutt City Council, Hutt Mana Charitable Trust and Hutt Valley District Health Board
Please note: There is no election required for Greater Wellington Regional Council or Rimutaka Licensing Trust due to the number of candidates not exceeding the number of vacancies.
Candidate information handbook
This handbook is designed to help candidates during the electioneering period with information that is specific to the Upper Hutt City Council’s local government election.
Candidate information handbook [PDF 1.5 MB]
Links to Greater Wellington Regional Council and Hutt Valley District Health Board candidate information handbooks are provided in the Resources and Links section.
Special voting is available at Upper Hutt City Council administration building between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday and will also be open on Saturday 8 October from 9am to 12 noon.
Reasons to make a Special Vote might include:
- your name does not appear on the final electoral roll at your current address, but you qualify as an elector
- you did not receive a voting document
- your voting document previously posted to you has been spoiled, misplaced or damaged
- you are on the unpublished electoral roll.
For further information please contact the Deputy Electoral Officer Wendy Lewin on 04-5272133 or email email@example.com
Election signage (valid for General Elections to be held 23 September 2017)
For information about candidate election signage requirements please refer to the following documents:
- Control of advertising signs bylaw [PDF 157 KB]
- Upper Hutt City Council candidate signage requirements [PDF 6 MB]
- New Zealand Transport Agency local government candidate election sign requirements [PDF 385 KB]
Links to more information including the 2013 local election results are provided in the Resources and Links section.
Last updated on 07 Dec 2017